APPLY TODAY <<<here or from Home page
Whether you’ve just graduated from high school, returning to college, or thinking of changing careers, MPD has an excellent and rewarding Career Path to becoming a Law Enforcement Officer as a PST.
Graduating High School Seniors can get a jump start by Following The Blue Path To Success.
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY FOR P.S.T.
- U.S. Citizen
- Eighteen (18) years of age
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Valid Tennessee driver’s license
- Good driving record
- Establish residency in Shelby County, TN within six months of hire date
- Stable employment history and/or school attendance
- Honorable discharge from Military, if applicable
- No guilty felony convictions or charges relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, alcohol (liquor), or controlled substances
- Exemplify good moral character, leadership skills, honesty, integrity, personal responsibility, and commitment to treat others with dignity and respect
- No history of addiction to drugs and/or alcohol
PREPARATION FOR P.S.T. TESTING
- 1.5 mile run (within 16:30 minutes or less)
- Obstacle Course (foot chase simulation) within 160 seconds or less
- Two (2) written exams (W.R.A.P. & A.B.L.E.)
Your primary duties can vary from conducting minor accident investigations to assisting with traffic control at major city events as well as interacting with the public, while attending a tuition paid college.
First, you’ll attend a six week training course at the Memphis Police Academy where you will receive a salary and comprehensive training in:
- City traffic laws
- Police radio procedures
- Basic lifesaving skills such as CPR and physical training
- Traffic accident and non-moving violation investigation
- High-tech equipment and procedure certification
- Control and direct traffic
- Respond to crash scenes
- Issue citations for parking and crash violations
- Assist in the identification and recovery of stolen vehicles
- Report criminal behavior observed
- Complete necessary reports
- Testify in court
- Assist the public
Upon graduation you will be assigned to the Traffic Division for field training and assigned a Field Training Officer (FTO).
PROGRESSION TO POLICE OFFICER RECRUIT
As a PST, you will attend a regionally accredited college, determined and paid by the City of Memphis, to earn a Criminal Justice Associate’s degree within three (3) years, to successfully transition from PST to Police Officer Recruit.